Monday 15 October 2012

I want to ride my bicycle (I want to ride my biiiiike)

I recently bought a bicycle.  

This may not seem surprising, as you probably don't know me.  However, if you DID know me, you would know that my weight has yo-yo'ed for my whole life, up and down, with more ups than downs.  I actually managed to get close to goal weight a couple of years ago, but then got ill and (yada, yada, yada) the weight piled back on again.  So, for the last two years, I have sat around doing nothing much and exercising very little not at all.

In a bid to get myself back to the gym, I bought a bike.  My thinking was that I would be more likely to cycle to the gym than walk, an idea which has not yet come to fruition.  I have been going to work on my bike, instead of walking, which has been quite strange.  There is much more traffic than there used to be - the cars don't even have a man walking in front of them with a flag anymore! - which makes me quite nervous on the road.  I've kitted myself out with a lovely cycling helmet, best lights I could get and have pinched one of Biggus' Hi-Vis vests.  Apparently, I look like a Special Constable.  Special *something* anyway!

I have, so far, been mostly a 'fair weather' cyclist and, this morning, it was chucking it down with rain.  I decided to walk to work.  I have realised that walking to work gets really, really boring when you've been doing much the same route for fifteen years, some of it for twenty-three years.*

This brings me to the point of this extremely boring post.  It will serve to remind me that, rain or shine, as long as there is no snow or ice, I MUST CYCLE TO WORK.  The reason for this is as follows:

If I get fed up or tired when I'm cycling to work, I can stop pedalling and momentum will carry me on.  Stopping when you're walking simply means that you stop moving and the boring walk takes even longer.

So, take note, lazy, fat, extremely fit future Sheppitsgal reading back - on your bike!

*Yes, I have had the same job for 23 years! I'm not even that old, honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you - if only so that I can pretend I have a friend!